PLEASE NOTE: I've moved! Feel free to continue following me via my new blog Embrace Serendipity.

**All tutorials & the majority of the posts from this blog have been moved over to my new blog**



Oct 11, 2011

Year 4 Layout


Hello once again fellow bloggers & scrappers! Today's page displays my most recent favorite picture of my hubby & me. This photo was taken on our recent vacation to Puerto Rico & in celebration of our 4th wedding anniversary. Four years. Has it really already been four years!? It honestly feels like just yesterday that I was taking my vows. Where does time go?

I used papers from Bo Bunny's Gabrielle collection. The entire background is stamped & I added additional stamping to my main page. I also went Distress Stickles happy when adding texture to the brick chippies! Distress Stickles really add amazing texture to just about any chippie.

The design of the page is based on Once Upon A Sketch's October 1st challenge sketch. The requirement for this sketch was to have at least one sentence of journaling noting why the event that was being scrapped was noteworthy. My journaling reads: This picture was taken on our very first day out exploring Puerto Rico & on the eve of our 4th wedding anniversary. A memory captured eternally against the walls of a historic fort that is centuries old.

I used white acrylic paint to stamp the brick wall in the background. With a brush apply the paint to your stamp. Apply a thin layer...do not glob your paint on or else you'll have globs on your page as well! TIP: Remember to clean your stamp as soon as you're done stamping. Once the paint dries it'll be much harder to clean. Stamp used is by Layers of Color (Brick Wall).

Even with a thin layer of acrylic white paint, the wall dried with an amazing raised texture. In person, it's almost like an embossed white brick wall in the background.

I cut out two pages in the same bracket shape & off set them slightly. I tried to bring out the subtle orange hues of this paper line. This is why you see the bright orange splashes throughout the page.

I stitched along the bracket border & added dots of Orange Peel stickles along the edge.

The chain bridge is by Dusty Attic. I painted this with a dark brown acrylic paint & then added Cinnamon Stickles.

The journaling was printed on ivory vellum. I then adhered the vellum to cream colored cardstock & inked the edges. I then stamped some splatters on the journaling with Tea Dye distress ink. The journaling is adhered with pop dots for added dimension.

The loop flower is hand made. I used Martha Stewarts corner Loop punch to make it. I've made a tutorial on how to make these corner punch flowers. If interested, you can find the tutorial here.

In the bottom corner you can catch glimpses of the script stamping. This stamp is from Tim Holtz's Mini Ornate collection.

This butterfly can be found in my Etsy shop. It's one of the new 'fall' butterfly additions to my shop. The splash of bright orange against the dark brown was just right for this page. I adhered the butterfly to the daisy with hot glue...it's a quick way to adhere an embellishment in precisely the right spot.

Finally, a close up of the brick wall also by Dusty Attic. I used two shades of orange for the brick walls. The upper bricks were painted in a bright orange acrylic paint. I then applied a thick layer of Spiced Marmalade Distress Stickles. The bottom bricks were painted with a darker orange/brown acrylic paint. I used Rusty Hinge Distress Stickles for these bricks.

Thanks for stopping by & for taking the time to visit!

15 comments:

Sandi Smith said...

So beautiful Kay and that BG paper looks awesome! Another stunning creation!

Carla said...

What a beautiful page. Congrats on 4 years.

A SASSY SCRAPPER said...

Another STUNNING CREATION from you, Kay! Lovin' all your BEAUTIFUL DETAILS!

Cindy Gay said...

Love all the brick work and great portrait and celebration layout.

Irini said...

Stunning layout, I love the details, the bricks look amazing!!...beautiful work!
Thanks for playing with us at Once Upon A....Sketch!!

Vicky Varvadouka said...

I am really impressed! This layout has so many details to look at!!! I love the design, the colors, the bricks and your butterfly is gorgeous!Thanks for sharing your work with us at OUAS!!

FiKenward said...

This is such a beautiful page, love the interested you created in the background with the brick stamp and all your elements have fitted together perfectly creating a gorgeous layout.

sandi said...

Wow! This is absolutely gorgeous! The bricks look awesome, as does everything else! Stunning! Tks. for playing along with us at OUAS!

Irma said...

Love the jewel-tone colors...such a spectacular page!
Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS!

phamil said...

Awesome techniques on this gorgeous page! Love the bricks and the rope chain especially! Just wonderful detail work! Thank you for playing along with us at OUAS!

Unknown said...

Gorgeously done! Thank you for playing along at OUAS! ~Gerry~

Jeni O'Connor said...

Gorgeous page. Lots of techniques. Love the bricking an lovely pic.
Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS.

Lizzy Hill said...

Just came by from OUA...S ~ wow! This is an awesome LO ~ & it tells a lovely story as well. So much work involved. It's really great ~ I going to check out the corner punch flower link now! TFS:):)

Keren Tamir said...

Congrats on being featured at OUAS,
your layout was beautiful!!

Sonia said...

Love your amazing layout!. Great JOB!
-Sony
http://sonia-studio60.blogspot.com