PLEASE NOTE: I've moved! Feel free to continue following me via my new blog Embrace Serendipity.

**All tutorials & the majority of the posts from this blog have been moved over to my new blog**



Apr 26, 2011

Frosted Flower Tutorial



Hello again fellow scrappers! This brief tutorial is on how to make the frosted flowers seen on my 'It's No Fairy Tale' page. The flower itself has most likely been done by several scrappers--I simply added a bit of glaze to the vellum. The glaze gives the vellum a 'frosty' look which is how these flowers got thier name.

Here's your basic list of supplies: flower punch, vellum, decorative scissors (optional), ink, paint brush, skewer or pencil for curling the petals, Triple Thick Glaze & glue.

Let's get started...



Step 1: Punch out three of the large petals & three of the smaller petals. I used the Retro punch by EK Success. Any flower punch or die will do for this technique.



Step 2: This step is optional. Use the decorative scissors to give the 3 large petals a more decorative design. If your punch or die already has a design on thier petals or if you like your flower with round petals--then you can skip this step.



Step 3: Ink the edges of all your flowers. I used a chalk ink block by S.E.I.



Step 4: Bend the petals of each flower upwards at the base as shown in the photo.



Step 5: For the three large petals only--take your pencil, skewer or paint brush & curl the edges of each petal down.



Step 6: Once you're done shaping your flower--glue each layer down by off-setting the petals.



Step 7: Now for the center. Take two of the flowers & fold thier petals down the middle. Take the remaining flower & curl the tip of it's petal down.



Step 8: Take one of the flowers with the petals folded in the middle--apply some glue to the insides of the petals & pinch the petals together in order to glue them. Insert this one flower inside the second flower with the folded petals & repeat the same step. Finally glue the 2 pinched petals to the center of the last flower. Your center should look like the photo.



Step 9: Now put your flower together as shown in the photo.



Step 10: Next step is the glaze. I use this triple thick glaze that I found at my local Michaels. They have smaller bottles than the one I used as well. I buy the family pack because I use glaze on several of my embellishments. :-) With a small paintbrush start applying the glaze all over your flower. Try not to glob it on--just spread it evenly all over with your brush.



Step 11: With the flower still wet--shape your flower. You'll notice that the vellum will curl once you start to put the glaze on. Try to uncurl the petals & shape your flower to meet your needs.



Step 12: Let the flower completely dry. Once dry, it'll have a frosty look & be very stiff. This is why it's better to shape it when wet. If you move the petals around when dry--they tend to crackle. However, if you like this effect--then shape away!



As you can see from this photo, you can also alter the center. The flower does not have to be entirely made out of vellum. You can make the center out of regular cardstock. The glaze gives the cardstock a nice sheen as well.




I hope some of you found this tutorial helpful. Happy creating!

Till my next post...

5 comments:

debi said...

Thanks, I love your tutorials. I'm so glad you are willing to share!

Karen Wilson said...

Beautiful flower and very easy to do!
So after seeing you use your Retro punch and a pair of scalloped scissors to cut the dips int he petals....I just shook my head..lol I couldve done that instead of ORDERING the McGill Floarino punch!! Which looks IDENTICAL to the flower shape you just made lol.

TFS the tutorial...

Natasha said...

BEEEEE-YOUUUUUU-TEEEEEE-FULLLLLL! It really does look frosted! Love it!

Nancy said...

GORGEOUS frosted flower! looks divine! TFS the tutorial!!!

Eve said...

Thanks a lot for this tutorial ;))
So cute ..