PLEASE NOTE: I've moved! Feel free to continue following me via my new blog Embrace Serendipity.

**All tutorials & the majority of the posts from this blog have been moved over to my new blog**



Apr 19, 2011

Brick Texture Chipboard Tutorial



I've gotten a couple of inquiries on how I go about achieving that 'brick' look on the brick wall Dusty Attic chippies that I've used on both my 'Frankie' & 'Brothers' pages.

I got this technique from Mr. Tim Holtz himself. I slightly altered his technique--but it's his idea that I used in order to achieve this particular texture.

Let's get started!



Basic list of supplies: distress ink, coordinating distress embossing powder, coordinating distress stickles, embossing ink & heat tool. This technique should work with all colors--for the brick texture I've been using Vintage Photo. For this example I'm going to use a frame by Dusty Attic instead of a brick wall chippie. I only had one set of brick wall chippies & I've already altered all of it. The steps are exactly the same though...



Step 1: Dip your chipboard into the embossing ink & heat emboss it with the distress embossing powder.



Step 2: Once you're done embossing your chippie--scrape off some of the embossing powder with your finger. This will reveal a bit of the raw chipboard & give the embossed powder a more rough texture.



Step 3: This step is optional. Sometimes I use a file to really rub off a good amount of the embossing powder. In this screen shot you can see in the background how much of the powder I have rubbed off. Be careful not to rub it all off--rub off just enough to give the chipboard a 'rustic' texture.



Step 4: Ink your chipboard with the coordinating distress ink.



Step 5: Once done inking--take the coordinating distress stickles & apply to your chipboard.



Step 6: As you can see from this screen shot--there's no better applicator than my own finger. I do not spread it out evenly...I tend to leave small clusters of distress stickles here & there to give it a natural rustic look.



Step 7: Here's the final outcome--this is the frame once dry.

I hope some of you found this tutorial helpful.

Till my next post...

8 comments:

Peggy said...

Thanks so much for sharing this awesome technique!!!! I guess I'd better break out my DA wall & give it a try!!!!

Marilyn said...

Great Tutorial...Thanks for the technique! Hugs! :)

Sherri Caramico said...

ooohhh! Can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

lost coast scrapper said...

Wow, great tutorial, I can't wait to try this!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Jane H said...

this is awesome thanks for the info!

Kathi said...

Love this ..now to find a project to do this to.

betsy said...

Thank you for sharing. Appreciated.

betsy said...

Thanks a lot.