PLEASE NOTE: I've moved! Feel free to continue following me via my new blog Embrace Serendipity.

**All tutorials & the majority of the posts from this blog have been moved over to my new blog**



Feb 18, 2012

Altered Ink Box


Good evening fellow scrappers! Today I'm posting a wooden box that I altered some time in November of 2011. This is actually a box that I bought at my local craft store Michaels for $1.

The box itself was painted & heat embossed--then embellished with many bits, bobs & trinkets.

I use this box to hold samples of all my inks. I have just about all of the Distress Inks by Tim Holtz and many of the Adirondack dye inks by Ranger plus a few others from other brands. Having all of my inks handy in one location makes it easier for me to mix n' match colors for my projects.

The cover consists of a glimmer glass owl & a bronze key by Tattered Angels. The owl's belly is a metal clock by Tim Holtz. The flowers consist of a few mulberry paper flowers from my stash & a handmade 'frosted flower'. You can find a tutorial for the vellum frosted flower here.

The clear film strip is by Tim Holtz.

The key hole is once again by Tim Holtz. I used Star Dust glitter to give the key hole some shimmer. The transparent flourishes were cut out from a larger transparent overlay by Hambly.

The glass vial is by Tim Holtz. (Lots of Tim Holtz goodies it seems). I filled the glass vial with black beads from my stash. The bird is also cut out from a Hambly overlay.

Now to go into a bit more detail on how I gave the box it's texture. The box was first painted with pink acrylic paint. Once dry I randomly inked the box with embossing ink & heat embossed it with Mahogany distress embossing powder. Finally I lightly dry brushed it with a bit of cream/ivory acrylic paint.

Thanks for stopping by & enjoy the rest of the weekend!

5 comments:

Cindy Gay said...

Oh wow, that inked box is great. Love all the bird, lock & clock ephemera!

A SASSY SCRAPPER said...

Gorgeous altered box, Kay!!!

Sandi Smith said...

wow...so beautiful!Love all your wonderful embellies!

Sonia said...

Wow Kay! I love this box, awesome!
I really all the beautiful details, especially that glossy rose. Thanks for your inspiration.
Great JOB!
-Sony
Sonia-Studio60

Doudou said...

I love!